If you want to have a very quick meal, sandwiches are the way to go. Sandwiches can also be made in several ways, you may want tons of veggies or a lot of meat, they are a versatile meal to work with. The name sandwich means a constituent of numerous foods. You must have heard terms such as hero, hoagie, sub, grinder, and several others before.
Sometimes, the names may vary depending on what is on the sub. Other times, some people call sandwiches any name they want at that time. You will need to know the unique properties of the kinds of sandwiches, you must know if their makeup is similar or they are made up differently.
What we want to find out is to know how to differentiate between a sub and a hoagie. These terms can be considered primarily interchangeably but they are different because of some properties setting them apart. Traditionally, hoagies are served cold on 6 to 12-inch bread rolls while subs are served either cold or hot and it could be made into different sizes and shapes.
In this article, we will find out the similarities and differences between a sub and a hoagie. They are quite similar, however, they could potentially have different meanings in different areas across the globe. You will find it very interesting to get to know how much difference they have. You are encouraged to continue reading if you want to find out all you need to know about the major differences between sub and hoagies sandwiches. You will also get to know why they are considered the same and how they are related.
A Complete Guide to Hoagies and Subs
Sandwiches are usually all referred to be the same. They are usually called in very similar ways. There are other things with a lot of names that can be categorized to be a sandwich. You will find some terminologies varying based on origin while some others are established on the basis of what is on the particular sandwich and exactly how it is made.
Hoagies and sub sandwiches are alike when broken down in detail. We will take each of the sandwiches one after the other and tell you all the details you need to know about them individually. After then, we will check out their similarities as well as differences to see how they can be compared.
What You Should Know About Hoagies
If you want to define it, a hoagie is regarded as a very long sandwich. It is usually made in long rolls filled with salad, meat, and cheese toppings. A hoagie can have slightly varying toppings and the title will still be kept, but it tends to have a particular style set for toppings.
A hoagie typically constitutes Italian meat, salads, and cheeses toppings. Provolone cheese, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pepperoni, turkey, and ham are the most popular toppings. Various dressings can be added to a hoagie. Hoagie was originally named “hoggie” by some Italian immigrants that first prepared the sandwich because they were working by making some standard sandwiches in the shipyard of Hog Island.
The name hoagie is now common in the areas of the East coast like Philadelphia and New Jersey. A hoagie is a kind of submarine sandwich that could be easily compared to grinders and heroes and some other kinds of sandwiches. Hoagie is very unique because it is most times served cold.
Before serving it, it is rare to toast or heat it. There is also no warm ingredients, it is usually for cold toppings and cold cuts.
Making your Hoagie Sandwich
We want to find out how to make your classic hoagie. The process is simple and it is not time-consuming or effort-consuming. You are allowed to use the items you can find available to fill the hoagie. We will illustrate the hoagie by using a direct hoagie recipe from Philadelphia as an example. Check below about how you can perfectly make your hoagie:
- The ingredients you will need include lettuce, sweet peppers, onion, tomato, provolone cheese, capicola, salami, boiled ham, oregano, pepper, salt, lengthy Italian rolls (about 6 to 12 inches long). You may also want some Italian dressings or perhaps, make your red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Start by slicing the roll by the length and then open it to put the toppings.
- Use your dressing to lightly brush the top as well as the bottom of your bed. If you want to add additional seasonings, sprinkle oregano and salt with the dressing.
- First lay the ham in one layer on your roll. Proceed to fold it adding the amount you want.
- You may then add capicola and salami the same way.
- Use provolone cheese to top your meat. It might be oversized, it is your choice to decide to leave it or slice it.
- The next thing to do is to add layers of sliced or crushed sweet peppers, tomatoes, and onion slices.
- Complete the process with layers of black pepper and lettuce.
- Drizzle some extra dressing if you want.
- You may then close your sandwich, cut, and enjoy it.
You will see that it is quite easy to make a hoagie. It is unique mostly because it is usually made with Italian toppings as against any meat or cheeses.
What You Should Know About Sub Sandwiches
The sub sandwich is a very broad category. It encompasses all sandwich terms – grinders, hoagies, heroes, and many more. You can top sub with any meat you want, any cheese you want, and any extra veggie dressings and toppings you want. Subs cannot be considered a cultural meal like a hoagie is. The culture of Italy is presented in hoagies while subs are a compilation of anything that sounds good which is turned into a delicious and big sandwich.
You can also serve sub cold or heat, the most popular way in serving subs is cold, however, they can also be served warm. Subs got the name originally because it is a very long sandwich whose size and shape served as a reminder to those who created submarines. They are made on long rolls of bread, usually about 6 inches long. The rolls are always a bit wide and will fit a lot of toppings and meat. You can easily customize sub as against sandwiches that are made traditionally with the exact same ingredients at all times.
Making your Sub Sandwich
It is difficult to define a sub sandwich because it can be made anyhow you want it. It is quite simple to make a sub, all you need to do is to determine the types of toppings you want on the sandwich. Toppings could include different vegetable toppings, different meat, and the cheese you prefer. You are also allowed to add any dressing or condiment you want. Let’s have a quick step of how you can make your sub sandwich:
- First, determine the toppings you want to add to your sub. You can add just about anything.
- You should also decide if you want to heat it.
- Begin by slicing open the roll by the length.
- Apply the meat in layers to your bread. You can use options for types multiple meat.
- Proceed to apply the cheese. Use cheese of your choice and you may use multiple types if you wish to.
- In case you will like to heat the sandwich, this is the time to do it.
- You may then add your veggies and other additional toppings you have chosen.
- Add the dressings, seasonings, and condiments of your choice.
- You may then close your sandwich, slice it, and enjoy it.
Subs vs Hoagies: Comparison Summary
If you want to find out how to best differentiate between a sub and a hoagie, the first main thing to know is that hoagies are a kind of sub. They are both types of sandwiches with the main difference being in their constituent. Hoagies are considered Italian-American with the dressing, toppings, cheese, and meat all reflecting the culture. It is very classic but it is usually the same all time. It is a type of Italian sandwich with the toppings varying very little.
On the other hand, sub sandwiches can be served either cold or hot and you may make it to your taste. The toppings can be changed to add anything you would like to it. Sub sandwiches allow you to make it anyhow you want it.
Can You Change the Veggies on your Hoagie?
To an extent, the veggies used on your hoagie can be altered but you must know that it is a traditional Italian sandwich made with the common vegetables that are used to make Italian cuisine.
How Much Bread Do You Need for your Sub?
Bread rolls are needed for any kind of sub and it should be at least about 6 inches long. This is the generally accepted thing.