Basting brushes are also called pastry brushes and every kitchen should have them. Basting brushes are used for a lot of things, they could be used for baked goods for an excellent golden crust, and some could be used for roasted meats for the perfect texture. Immediately you get pastry brushes, you will get to use them for more things than you have planned for.
What we want to check out the best sets of basting brushes and the answer will be dependent on a lot of factors and the most important being your needs as well as preferences. If you want to select the best set of brushes, you only have one way out and it is to learn all you need to be aware of about them.
Buying Guide for Basting Brushes
Basting brushes are in many sizes, types, and shapes. Some chefs prefer one over the other and some other chefs find different ways to use them all.
What basting brushes are used for;
There are lots of things you can use pastry brushes for and the thing about them is that there will always be new things you will find that you can use them for. You should be creative about things, don’t be too scared to experiment. Let’s check some of the common things basting brushes are used for:
- They add glazes to homemade buns or bread.
- For every kind of confectionery like cookies, wedding cakes, or any other creative work of bakery.
- Making candy-like candied violets.
- Glazing roasted fish or meat for the fantastic taste.
- Putting sugar glaze, olive oil, melted butter, salt glaze, or egg wash on pastries to enhance their tastes and also a very nice glow.
- Adding oil or fat to dough-like phyllo dough.
- Glazing cookies or cakes to stop the cake from getting dry.
The highlight above is not comprehensive, there are other things basting brushes can be used for, you are not limited in any way.
Types of basting brushes
The bristles’ materials used to make basting brushes determine the different types we have out there. There are lots of materials out there and silicone bristles are used for lots of modern brushes. Another thing that determines the different types we have is the textures of the different types of bristles. Some textures are soft and gentle, whereas others are rigid and hard. You need to understand that hard bristles cannot be used for delicate work. Finally, brushes also vary by size and shape.
Generally, basting brushes are made from either natural or synthetic materials. Modern brushes are most commonly made from synthetic materials. However, you can get traditional brushes when you get to the market. Check out below for the most popular materials:
- Boar hair
- Some other kinds of animal hair
Irrespective of the material, the brushes will most times perform well but you need to understand that bristles from animal hair cannot be considered kosher or vegan. It is not everyone that will be comfortable to use them.
This is the most essential thing when you want to select a basting brush, you need to use the perfect kind of bristles to make or perhaps break the roast or pastry. Both types are suitable for different tasks.
Basting brushes that have softer bristles are used for a lot of things. Using a softer material on your baked product is beneficial because it will not damage the pastries when glazing them. The brushes are the perfect ones for glazing anything, glazing with olive oil, salted or melted butter, putting egg wash on your pastries, and many other uses.
Rigid and hard bristles
You might not be able to use this type for many things as compared to how you will use softer bristles. For certain tasks, they are irreplaceable. Hard bristles are likely to cause damage to delicate pastries or cakes. They will, however, work to glaze a roast. This brush is also very good for making patterns within the glaze or frosting on cakes and cookies. It will beautifully decorate the cake because it is rigid.
Sizes and Shapes
For sizes, the most popular brush sizes include:
- 4 inches
- 3 inches
- 2 ½ inches
- 2 inches
- 1 ½ inch
- 1 ¼ inch
- 1 inch
- 3/8 inch
Basting brushes are usually made in two shapes and they include round or flat and wide. They are each suitable for different types of activities, it is good to select the two when you want to buy. Round brushes help for more precision, like glazing smaller cakes or pastries. Using round brushes for glazing larger areas will be time-consuming.
Flat and wide brushes can be used for bigger areas and you can use them to glaze an entire pastry batch with ease. Using this brush will help you to bake so many things at a go.
Other things you should consider
Consider the following before you buy the brush:
- Heat resistance: usually, silicone brushes are more resistant to heat than naturally bristled brushes. Some brushes resist heating up to about 600°F.
- Layers: Almost all modern brushes possess over one bristle layer.
- Handle type: Silicone handle helps to make it easy to steadily grip the brushes. Some people, however, prefer the traditionally-made wooden brushes.
- Handle size: The handles could be smaller or larger, it depends on the task you want to perform and also on the size of your hands.
9 (Nine) Best Basting Brushes
Silcony 3-Piece Set Heat Resistant Silicone Basting Pastry Brushes
- Soft bristles
- Made from Pure silicone
- Three brushes in a set with different colors; yellow, blue, and green.
- Strong and soft
- Heat resistance for up to about 480°F and can be used while roasting.
- Freezer and dishwasher safe
- Highly durable
- More varied sizes would have been better.
Royal Industries Pastry Brush
- I inch commercial-grade brush
- Suited for different tasks including glazing and decorating smaller pastries
- Naturally made with a boar bristle
- Resist temperature up to about 500°F.
- Can be used for basting, making candy, spreading sauces, glazing, and egg wash.
- It is suitable for chocolate, sugar cookies, cakes, and pastries.
- Bristles are soft and long.
- Used for different tasks
- Lacquered hardwood handle
- Drilled handle that has a hole for hanging
- Not kosher or vegan
WALFOS Premium Silicone Basting Pastry Brush Set
- Resist heat impressively to about 446°F
- 100 percent FDA approved
- A set of two brushes
- Designed in black with an aura of elegance
- Can be used when grilling or cooking
- Very versatile with different bristles sizes covering each base.
- One-piece design
- Flexible and multi-functional
- Similarly-sized brushes
Winco Pastry Brush, 1-Inch
- Made 100% naturally from boar hair
- Flat bristle
- Metal ferrule contained in the wooden handle
- Compact size
- Ideally used for coating works and smaller tasks like glazing or decorating with a greater precision
- Despite being soft, bristles are densely attached to it.
- The handle is 4.5 inches and made from wood with metal ferrules.
- The brush is small with a size of 1 inch.
- Very durable
- Very versatile
- Flat bristle
- Should be cleaned by hand
Silicone Basting & Pastry Brushes by AdeptChef
- Resist high heat up to about 446°F
- Four different beautiful colors
They are incredibly easy to clean and dishwasher safe, but you can also clean them by hand. They are also very heat resistant and will easily stand temperatures of up to 446 degrees F.
- Easily cleaned, dishwasher-safe, and can be cleaned by hand
- Dry quickly
- Suitable for use on a waffle iron, pan, or grill.
- Very affordable.
- The four brushes all have similar sizes.
Natural Boar Bristle Pastry Brushes
This set of two natural boar bristle brushes will be a helpful addition to any kitchen.
- Naturally made from boar hair.
- Ideal for your fresh pastries
- It is a set containing two brushes
- Lacquered handle (top-quality) topped with brown nylon ferrules.
- Easy to grip and ergonomic handle.
- Hanging hole to keep them on display
- Great fluid retention
- Premium quality
- Has to be washed delicately by hand
Pastry Brush Natural Bristle Wooden
- Holds moist liquids very well
- Dishwasher safe
- Smooth bristles
- 100% naturally made from wood and boar hair.
- Only a few strokes are needed
- Easy to use a nylon lanyard to hang it
- Suitable for every type of task.
- It is not everyone that loves natural bristles
Basting Brush Silicone Heat Resistant Pastry Brushes
- Dishwasher safe
- A set containing three varying brushes that can be used for different tasks.
- BPA-free, FDA approved food-grade silicone brush.
- The brush is attached permanently to the bristles, meaning the brush gets protected from breaking.
- Extremely durable
- Used for a lot of different tasks
- Unique ergonomically designed
- Many strokes may be needed for some tasks
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush
- Resist extreme heat up to 600°F
- Silicone bristles of multiple layers
- Bristle design is unique to help prevent clumping or odors when cleaning.
- It holds liquids better when transferring them from a bowl to the food.
- Outside bristles are soft and tapered and will help to glazing delicate pastries
- Dishwasher safe
- Used for delicate items
- Heat resistant and durable
- The precision is not up to hard bristles.