Indulge in a culinary delight that brings together the richness of salmon, the comfort of lasagna, and the freshness of spinach.
These mouthwatering salmon lasagna rolls are a fusion of flavors, perfectly layered with creamy ricotta and velvety asiago/fontina cheese.
A tantalizing blend of cumin and red pepper flakes adds a touch of warmth to each bite.
Are you ready to embark on a culinary journey that will leave you craving more?
salmon lasagna rolls
Salmon lasagna rolls are a delicious and unique twist on traditional lasagna.
To make these rolls, you will need cooked lasagna sheets, salmon, spinach, ricotta cheese, asiago or fontina cheese, cumin, red pepper flakes, butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, canola oil, salt, pepper, and parsley.
The salmon is cooked and combined with spinach, ricotta cheese, and spices.
Then, the mixture is spread onto the lasagna sheets, rolled up, and placed in a baking dish.
A creamy sauce made with butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and parsley is poured over the rolls.
Finally, the dish is baked until golden and bubbly.
Enjoy these flavorful salmon lasagna rolls for a unique and satisfying meal.
- Salmon lasagna rolls provide a delicious and unique variation on traditional lasagna.
- The recipe calls for:
- Cooked lasagna sheets
- Ricotta cheese
- Asiago or fontina cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Canola oil
- The salmon is cooked and mixed with spinach, ricotta cheese, and spices.
- The mixture is then spread onto the lasagna sheets, rolled up, and placed in a baking dish.
- A creamy sauce is made using butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and parsley and poured over the rolls.
- The dish is baked until it reaches a golden and bubbly state, creating a flavorful and satisfying meal.
salmon lasagna rolls – Watch Video
1. Did you know that salmon lasagna rolls were originally created in Italy? Despite being associated with Italian cuisine, this delicious dish with a twist was actually inspired by traditional lasagna and given a seafood spin.
2. In ancient Rome, salmon was considered a luxury item and was preserved in salt to ensure its freshness. This preserved salmon was often used in various dishes, including lasagna rolls, to add a rich and distinct flavor.
3. The original recipe for salmon lasagna rolls called for an herb known as lovage, which was widely used in ancient times for its aromatic properties. It added a unique taste to the dish, but over time, it was gradually replaced with other herbs such as dill and parsley.
4. Salmon lasagna rolls are not only delicious but also a nutritious choice. Salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their heart-healthy benefits. So, not only can you enjoy a tasty meal, but you’re also nourishing your body with essential nutrients.
5. While lasagna rolls are traditionally made with pasta sheets, you can also experiment with other ingredients to enhance the flavors. Some creative variations of salmon lasagna rolls have been made using thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant instead of pasta, offering a lighter and gluten-free alternative.
1. Preparation: Cooking The Lasagna Sheets
When making salmon lasagna rolls, the first step is to prepare the foundation of the dish – the lasagna sheets. Begin by cooking four sheets of lasagna according to the instructions on the package. It is important to keep the sheets al dente, as they will further cook in the oven. Drain the lasagna sheets and set them aside while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
2. Main Ingredient: Fresh Salmon
The exquisite piece of fresh salmon, weighing in at 8 oz, is the star of this dish. It brings a delectable flavor to the lasagna rolls.
To prepare the salmon, season it with a pinch of salt and pepper. Preheat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Once hot, place the salmon in the skillet and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side, or until it reaches the desired doneness.
After cooking, remove the salmon from heat and set it aside to cool slightly before assembling the rolls.
3. Nutritional Addition: Spinach
Adding a nutritious twist to this salmon lasagna roll recipe is the vibrant and leafy spinach. In a separate skillet, add a touch of butter and sauté 4 cups of spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The spinach provides a burst of color, texture, and health benefits to the rolls, enhancing their overall appeal.
4. Creamy Filling: Ricotta Cheese
To achieve a luscious and creamy texture in the salmon lasagna rolls, a generous amount of strained ricotta cheese is required.
- In a bowl, combine 16 oz of ricotta cheese with 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Mix well until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the cheese.
- This flavorful mixture will add depth to the rolls, delighting your taste buds.
5. Cheesy Goodness: Asiago or Fontina Cheese
To enhance the cheesy goodness of the salmon lasagna rolls, incorporate the rich and nutty flavors of either Asiago or Fontina cheese. Grate 1.5 cups of either cheese and set it aside to be sprinkled over the rolls during assembly. These cheese varieties melt beautifully, creating a delectable layer between the salmon and the lasagna sheets.
- Incorporate either Asiago or Fontina cheese for enhanced flavor.
- Grate 1.5 cups of cheese and set aside.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the rolls during assembly to create a delicious layer.
- The melted cheese adds to the overall deliciousness of the dish.
6. Spicy Kick: Cumin and Red Pepper Flakes
To enhance the flavor profile of salmon lasagna rolls, it is crucial to add a spicy kick. Incorporating 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and a pinch of red pepper flakes into the ricotta cheese mixture will elevate the dish with a tantalizing heat that complements the richness of the salmon and cheese. Make sure to adjust the amount of spices based on your personal preference for spice levels.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- Include a pinch of red pepper flakes
“Adding a spicy kick to the salmon lasagna rolls is essential to elevate the overall flavor profile.”
7. Sauteing The Ingredients: Butter and Canola Oil
To enhance the taste and texture of the salmon and spinach in this recipe, start by sautéing them in a mixture of 1/4 cup of butter and 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Here’s how to do it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the salmon and spinach to the skillet, making sure they are evenly coated in the buttery mixture.
- Cook the salmon until it is fully cooked through, ensuring that it is tender and flaky.
- Sauté the spinach until it wilts, bringing out its vibrant green color and adding a burst of freshness to the dish.
By following these steps, you’ll infuse the salmon and spinach with a melt-in-your-mouth buttery goodness, resulting in a lasagna roll that is packed with flavor and juiciness.
- Remember to melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Don’t forget to fully cook the salmon to ensure it is tender and flaky.
- Sauté the spinach until it wilts for a vibrant and fresh addition to the dish.
“Every bite of the lasagna roll is bursting with flavor and juiciness that melts in your mouth.”
8. Creamy Sauce: Heavy Cream
To create a rich and creamy sauce that envelopes the salmon lasagna rolls, you’ll need 1 cup of heavy cream. Pour the cream into a saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer. This step ensures that the cream thickens slightly, enhancing the overall consistency and velvety texture of the dish. Be careful not to let it boil, as it may curdle.
9. Topping It Off: Parmesan Cheese
To achieve the perfect finishing touch to the salmon lasagna rolls, sprinkle 1.5 cups of freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the top. This adds a savory and salty kick that perfectly balances the flavors of the dish. The cheese forms a beautiful golden crust as it bakes, creating an irresistible texture and visual appeal.
10. Garnish: Fresh Parsley
To enhance the presentation and flavor of the salmon lasagna rolls, a final touch of freshness can be added by garnishing them with freshly chopped parsley. The vibrant green color of the parsley provides a visually appealing contrast to the warm tones of the salmon and cheese. Moreover, the flavor of parsley complements the overall taste profile impeccably.
The salmon lasagna rolls recipe combines the flavors of tender salmon, nutritious spinach, creamy ricotta cheese, and a kick of spices to create a delightful and wholesome dish. The layers of melted cheese and the creamy sauce bring a comforting richness to the dish. Additionally, the addition of fresh parsley adds a burst of freshness to every bite. These mouthwatering lasagna rolls are a treat for both the eyes and the taste buds, providing a nutritious twist on a classic favorite.
You may need to know these questions about salmon lasagna rolls
1. What are some alternative ingredients or fillings that can be used in salmon lasagna rolls to add variety and flavor?
Some delicious alternative ingredients or fillings that can be used in salmon lasagna rolls to add variety and flavor include spinach and ricotta cheese. Adding wilted spinach to the filling will provide a fresh and vibrant taste, while the creamy ricotta cheese will add a rich and smooth texture to the rolls.
Another option is to incorporate roasted red peppers and feta cheese. Roasted red peppers have a slightly smoky and sweet flavor that pairs well with salmon, and the tangy feta cheese will bring a burst of saltiness and creaminess to the dish. Together, these ingredients will create a delightful combination of flavors in the salmon lasagna rolls.
2. Is there a recommended type of salmon to use in making lasagna rolls?
There is no specific recommended type of salmon to use in making lasagna rolls, as it ultimately depends on personal preference. However, it is generally recommended to use fresh salmon rather than canned salmon for a richer flavor and texture. Some popular options include Atlantic salmon, sockeye salmon, or king salmon. It’s important to ensure that the salmon is properly cooked and seasoned to complement the flavors of the lasagna rolls. Ultimately, choose a type of salmon that you enjoy and feel will work well with the other ingredients in your lasagna rolls.
3. Can salmon lasagna rolls be prepared in advance and frozen before baking?
Yes, salmon lasagna rolls can be prepared in advance and frozen before baking. To do this, assemble the lasagna rolls as usual but stop before the baking step. Instead, wrap the rolls tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label and date the container, then freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, simply thaw the rolls in the refrigerator overnight and bake according to the original recipe instructions. Freezing the rolls before baking allows for easy meal prep and convenient future use.
4. What are some potential side dishes or accompaniments that pair well with salmon lasagna rolls?
Some potential side dishes or accompaniments that pair well with salmon lasagna rolls are mixed green salad with a citrus vinaigrette dressing and roasted asparagus. The fresh and tangy flavors of the salad dressing complement the richness of the salmon. Additionally, the roasted asparagus adds a crispy and flavorful element to the dish, further enhancing the overall meal.