Chocolate addicts should have tried whoopie pies as it is one of the simplest yet tastiest variety of chocolatey dessert. Adults and kids love this dessert for its gooey texture and just the right level of sweetness that makes one indulge on it.
It has become a popular dessert that you can buy it from any bake shops and grocery stores. However, no one can argue that home-made whoopie pie is the best, not only because you can have it fresh from the oven but making it is also fun. You can make it in desired quantity or with some extras to store so you can satisfy your unanticipated cravings.
If you made quite a lot and need to store it, can you keep it frozen? Of course, you can keep it frozen until you crave for it. Just know that after freezing your whoopie pies, it may not be as gooey as the freshly baked ones, but it will surely taste the same.
Freezing has always been the best way to store food to make it last for weeks and even months. So, freezing your whoopie pies is the best option. Some people actually like chilled whoopie pies while some even like to eat it when frozen.
If you wonder how to freeze whoopie pies just continue reading because we have it all laid out for you. You can also get more helpful information and tips on this article.
A Guide to Freezing Whoopie Pies
If you have not seen whoopie pie, just imagine a creamy filling sandwiched between two chocolatey soft cookies. Its soft cookie or cake cookies are usually chocolatey but there are other varieties of cakes you can choose from depending on your taste.
Common recipes for whoopie pies would give you chocolate chips, red velvet, birthday cake, vanilla, and many others. Thus, it is interesting to know that you can make different flavored cake cookies for whoopie pies and enjoy all of it. Others even like to sprinkle it with tiny bits of chocolates or add frostings.
Since it is easy to make whoopie pies at home, we thought of sharing the procedure in making your home-made whoopie pies and later tell you the tips in freezing them.
How to Make Your Own Whoopie Pies
You may be a beginner in baking or cooking but do not worry, this procedure is very easy to follow. If want to use ready mix cake powder, it could be a lot easier. In this procedure we assume you wanted to start from scratch in all the ingredients.
To make the cake cookies, you need to prepare the following:
- 2 cups of flour (all-purpose or your preferred kind of flour)
- ½ cup of Shortening
- 5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of white sugar (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
To make the filling, prepare these ingredients:
- 2 Egg whites
- ¾ cup of shortening
- 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
To make whoopie pies, follow these steps:
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for preheating.
- Prepare the cookie cakes first. Mix the shortening, sugar, and egg yolks. Stir well until it becomes creamy. You may use a whole egg instead of separating the egg whites and the yolk.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a different bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla and stir the mixture well.
- Set the cake mixture for baking. You can bake it in a pan or tray and just cut it into desired shapes. You can also spoon the cake mixture to make bite-size cake cookies.
- Bake the cake for not more than 15 minutes.
- Leave it to cool and prepare the cream filling.
- Prepare the filling. Combine the shortener, egg whites, vanilla, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix thoroughly until it became light and creamy.
- Add desired amount of cream filling to the cake cookies and put another cookie atop. Be sure that the cake cookies are cold before adding the filling.
You can follow this procedure even when you plan to use a ready cake mix, you just do not need to do add baking powder or baking soda to your mixture. It is also the basic procedure with the basic ingredients to make whoopie pies. If you add other ingredients or want to be creative with it, you may alter the process as required.
Freezing Whoopie Pies
Since you already know how to make whoopie pies, let us tell you how you can store it and what are the best ways to keep it frozen. There are advantages and disadvantages when you keep whoopie pies frozen.
Here are the advantages of Freezing Whoopie Pies:
- You can store whoopie pies individually when you make it in large quantities.
- When packed individually, it is easier to get what you only needed.
- It also tastes best when chilled.
- Whoopie pies are effortless to keep frozen.
- They can be kept frozen for a few months.
- It can be frozen in a batch of large quantities if you need to serve it in a gathering or to a group.
- The taste does not change even when kept frozen for some time.
- Frozen or chilled whoopie pies can be favorable to eat than freshly baked.
Here are the disadvantages of Freezing Whoopie Pies:
- When frozen in batches, it may stick together and crumble when taken apart from the others.
- Cream fillings may freeze at different levels.
- When you want it warm rather than chilled, whoopie pies can become dry if you reheat it.
- Freezing them in large quantities may not be a good idea if you intend to consume only apiece at a given time.
You might find that there are lesser disadvantages when you keep your whoopie pies frozen, but you may still want to consider them. Though you need not worry much because whoopie pies can be kept frozen for months to a year.
Steps to Freezing Whoopie Pies
Understanding what could be unfavorable and what are the favorable sides of freezing whoopie pies is important so you will become more meticulous in preparing prior freezing.
Here are the tips in freezing whoopie pies:
- Know whether you want it packed individually or in group of several pieces before freezing them. The freezing procedure is the same but packing it individually makes it easier for you to get just a piece when needed.
- Place each whoopie pie in a plastic food wrap individually so it will not stick together. You may also do this even when you want to freeze them in batches.
- Place single servings into freezer bags. You may also place as much as you desire. You can also use a food container with tight lid instead of freezer bags.
- Put labels on the packages to remind you of its shelf life.
- Keep it in your freezer for not more than six months.
Using Whoopie Pies After Freezing
Preparing and serving whoopie pies after they are frozen is easier than freezing it. Here are the two ways to enjoy them.
- Serve it chilled or frozen. They are as delicious as newly baked and will save you from its crumbs or gooey dirt.
- Serve it after reheating. For those who prefer it warm, remove the wrappings and reheat it for 30 minutes or longer when needed.
Keep in mind that when frozen whoopie pies are warmed or reheated, the cream filling becomes gooey and the cake cookies becomes soft. These may cause the filling to leak and the cakes to crumble.
I am a fan of whoopie pies, and I hope we have given you complete information and easy techniques in making and freezing your whoopie pies. Also, here are a few questions and answers related to whoopie pies that we hope could be of help.
Should whoopie pies be refrigerated if to be served soon?
It is okay if you want it chilled or cold. You may refrigerate it even if you are serving them soon but be sure it has already cooled down. If you wanted to store it by simply refrigerating it, then keep in mind that it can only be best for not more than 5 days. If you intend on keeping it longer than that, it is better to freeze it.
Are whoopie pies the same as moon pies?
They may look a bit similar, but they are entirely different. A whoopie pie has creamy filling sandwiched between two cake cookies. It is also bigger than a moon pie. A moon pie has marshmallow sandwiched in between two graham cracker cookies entirely covered with chocolate.
Can whoopie pies turn bad?
Whoopie pies can turn bad when you keep it refrigerated or frozen only if you did not package it in a dry and close container. If you followed our given procedure on how to freeze whoopie pies, then you need not worry about it turning bad sooner than expected. It can be kept frozen for six months or more when packed properly before freezing. If you labeled the package before freezing, it will remind you of its shelf life.