Almost everyone across the globe love gnocchi and there are several reasons for that. You can easily buy it in the store or make your own. The taste of gnocchi is amazing and you can use it as a base for a lot of fantastic dishes. You are in the perfect place if you love to eat gnocchi and you want to know how you can reheat it.
The bone of contention in this article is to find out how you can reheat your gnocchi dishes. You can reheat gnocchi dishes in several ways, however, putting your gnocchi inside boiling water is the most used method. You can reheat gnocchi directly from frozen if you don’t want them to stick together.
What we have done is to test a lot of methods and we’ve found out that you can reheat gnocchi in some amazing ways and their taste will look like when you just made them. In case you have found yourself in situations where your leftovers didn’t have the right taste, likely, that you have not reheated the meal properly and not necessarily because the food has gotten spoilt. There is a major role reheating plays in preparing your gnocchi leftovers and gnocchi usually responds well to reheating if you do it right.
How To Reheat Gnocchi
Talk of a wonderful meal that can be placed inside the freezer and easily and quickly reheated whenever you need it, gnocchi is that meal. You must ensure you freeze gnocchi properly if you want the reheating process to be a smooth one. Cooking your gnocchi in advance and reheating when you need it is perfect for someone that does not have the opportunity to always prepare their meal from scratch every blessed day. If you are in this category, then you now know what makes sense for you.
What we now need to find out is whether or not your meals will have the same taste as fresh after you have frozen and reheated them. The right answer is that they do not always taste fresh. It could be a difficult thing to reheat some dishes and still retain all nutrients or taste. If your dish tastes a bit bland after you have reheated, you might have missed a step in the process and that then impacted the outcome hugely.
The most common and biggest problem when you are dealing with gnocchi is that they usually stick together, most especially when you don’t cook them directly from frozen inside a lot of already boiling water. The outlined reason above is why using a microwave might not be ideal but it does not mean you cannot try to use it.
The time you will spend in the preparation of gnocchi isn’t too consuming, but you need to dedicate a bit of attention to it and you should also endeavor to use the perfect methods. Apart from the fact that they could stick together, gnocchi dishes are also very fragile. If you cook them wrongly, they may disintegrate or fall apart.
They are tender and you need to give them some additional attention. If you can follow our methods, you won’t spend a lot of time and your outcome will be delicious. The reheating methods of gnocchi vary and it depends on if the gnocchi is cooked or frozen. Continue reading to select the best method you will prefer.
How To Reheat your Frozen Gnocchi
Always have it at the back of your mind that you need to reheat this gnocchi directly from your freezer. The gnocchi should not be left to first thaw.
- Using your stove; first method: This method involves cooking frozen gnocchi. You are recommended not to use an oven or a microwave. Use a large pot, you could use two pots if your gnocchi is plenty. The pot should contain boiling water, place your gnocchi inside and gently stir as it cooks, don’t forget to be gentle. If needed, cover your pot.
- Using your stove; the second method: this is a method called Chinese potsticker. This method will keep the gnocchi intact. The gnocchi is arranged inside a non-stick pot that has been slicked using oil and then you will add a little amount of water and then cover the pot. Allow it to cook the gnocchi dishes that have been taken through the steam and the liquid before you proceed to remove the cover. Brown the surfaces of the bottom in the leftover oil and turn them to the other side.
How To Reheat your Cooked Gnocchi
For gnocchi that you have already cooked and you now have some leftovers that you wish to reheat, you have more methods you can use.
- Using your oven: You are recommended to use this method for only gnocchi dishes, not your solo gnocchi. Put the meal inside an oven-friendly plate, add extra cheese or sauce if you wish to. Use foil to cover it and then reheat it at a temperature of 350°F.
- Using the microwave: Use this method for gnocchi that extras like sauces have already been added. Put them inside a microwave-safe pan and add the sauce as well as some cheese, depending on what you want. Set the microwave to medium heat and allow it to heat for about one minute before you change to the other side and do the same process until they are completely warm.
- Using a stovetop: Plain gnocchi can be reheated on a stove just in a similar way you will do with frozen gnocchi. Put them inside a very big pot of already boiling water that has been salted and then gently stir them as you cook.
You will notice that you can reheat your gnocchi through several methods and all of them are worth the additional time you are putting into it. If you carefully reheat frozen gnocchi inside the microwave, the taste will be very delicious. The above-highlighted methods will properly guide you, but we have also prepared a detailed guide of how you can best reheat your gnocchi dishes. You are recommended to continue reading below to select the method you prefer:
Step-by-Step Guide To Reheating your Cooked Gnocchi
Everyone knows the technicality involved in using a microwave or an oven, but you have to remember that there are different reheating techniques attached to different dishes. This is the case concerning gnocchi. It depends on if your gnocchi is cooked, uncooked, or frozen, or perhaps, you have kept it inside a refrigerator after cooking. It is paramount that you select the correct option for the reheating process.
Reheating your Frozen Gnocchi
Frozen gnocchi before cooking or after you have cooked them will need to be reheated with a stovetop for efficient and safe reheating.
- Cook your gnocchi directly from your freezer. You should not thaw them before you cook them.
- Get salted water, about 6 quarts, and allow it to boil, you are recommended to use two different pots to do this.
- You should then proceed to shake off every excess flour away from the frozen gnocchi before you put them inside the pots.
- Split them gently between your two pots and stir as you do so.
- Immediately after your gnocchi has been placed into the pots, use lids to cover the pots to ensure the water is returned to boil.
- Allow it to cook for up to 3 (three) minutes.
- Then thoroughly drain it.
Another method called the gentle Chinese potsticker method ensures that the gnocchi will not fall apart whenever it is cooked.
- Use oil to slick your non-stick frying pan.
- Get your gnocchi and arrange it inside the frying pan.
- Proceed to add a bit of water, it could be stock if that’s what you want.
- Use a lid to cover your pan and then allow it to cook until they are cooked through in the steam and the liquid.
- The lid may then be removed and use the leftover oil to brown the surfaces of the bottom of the gnocchi.
- Allow them to become brown on the other side by turning over.
How to Reheat your Cooked Gnocchi
Generally, you are recommended to freeze gnocchi uncooked immediately after you have shaped them. If, however, you wish to reheat the gnocchi dish, check below for the process of doing it. This is the reheating method by boiling.
- Get salted water and boil it inside a big pot.
- Put the leftover gnocchi inside your colander.
- Then, dip the colander into your boiling water gently.
- Allow the heat to perform its function for up to 30 to 60 seconds.
- You should then remove it from the boiling water and then toss it with your toppings and leftover sauce.
In case you do not own a colander, remove the boiling water away from the heat and then put the gnocchi inside it and remove it after one minute or two.
Reheating your Gnocchi Using the Microwave
You should use this method for the leftover of gnocchi dishes containing toppings and sauce.
- Put the leftovers inside the microwavable container.
- Add some spices, cheese, or sauce if you want and carefully stir.
- Reheat the gnocchi for about a minute with the heat on medium.
- Turn them to the other side or stir them and repeat the same process for the other side.
Reheating your Gnocchi Using your Oven
This particular method should be used for gnocchi dishes, not the solo gnocchi variety:
- Allow the oven to preheat to a temperature of 350°F.
- Put the dish inside an oven-safe container.
- Proceed to add the extra cheese, spices, sauce, or any other thing as you wish. Then add a little amount of liquid (broth or water), but it should not be in excess.
- Use foil to cover it.
- Allow it to heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.