Are you looking for a creamy, delicious, filling pasta meal? Stroganoff is your way to go. It has its origin from Russia, which is likely to be in the nineteenth (19th) century. Stroganoff is a unique name, but how was it gotten? According to reports, the name was gotten from the family ‘Stroganoy’ and it eventually changed to this present name ‘stroganoff’ in the years. In 1971, Elena Ivanovna Molokhovets wrote the formal recipe for the first time in a book called ‘Classic Russian Cooking’ and it has lasted for years because it has an unparalleled flavor which provides an ultimate food satisfaction comfort.
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
The first thing we need to know is what stroganoff is. What exactly is stroganoff? Your meat stew that contains sour cream, mustard, pickles, and mushrooms is regarded as beef stroganoff. What we are going to do in the recipe we will be discussing is to omit the ingredient sour cream.
It is quite simple to make our beef stroganoff recipe without the sour cream. Follow the guidelines below:
- You are going to use one piece of your lean beef, you will cut the piece into several thin slices, you will season the slices and then you will fry them in butter.
- You will proceed to finely chop your onion, add it to what you have fried in the first step and add the broth after.
- The stew will be cooked and you should cover it for about 15 minutes.
- Check and see if the meat has gotten soft, if it has, proceed to add the wine, mustard, pickles, and the substitute for sour cream.
- Your dish should almost be ready.
- Proceed to add a bit of coriander and allow the stew to rest for some minutes and your beef stroganoff is ready to be eaten.
How to Store Beef Stroganoff
There are several questions people ask about this meal, for example, in case they prepare the recipe at the weekend, can they keep it inside their freezer so that they can eat it within the week?
To rephrase the question, can beef stroganoff be frozen? Yes, it can be frozen. You can prepare your stroganoff on Sunday, pack it inside your plastic container that has a very tight lid or cover, and place it in the freezer for about one week. Whenever you are ready to consume or eat your beef stroganoff, you can defrost it on low heat on your stovetop or inside your microwave. You will have to stir it, after stirring, it will give you a taste just as if you just freshly made it.
How to Substitute Sour Cream
We understand that many people do not possess or have available sour cream in their fridge every time. This is the reason why in this recipe, we opted for melted cream cheese which even has somewhat of a better taste than the sour cream. You can also possibly make use of double cream by adding some drops of your lime to it. If you use any of the options stated above, your recipe can be prepared without the use of sour cream and you will still keep all the creaminess and flavor.
What to Serve With Stroganoff
What you can serve with stroganoff is dependent on your taste preferences and choice. Some people eat their beef stroganoff with potatoes (this is generally good for gluten-free people), so if you fall in this category, you can proceed to try it out. The option that is most traditionally served with beef stroganoff is your egg pasta. This is highly recommended and this is what was used in our particular recipe explained above.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff without Sour Cream
You can make your beef stroganoff by going through the guidelines below:
Step 1: Collect your ingredients together
Step 2: Continue by slicing the meat on the wheels about one inch thick before you proceed to cut each of the wheels to thin strips. You should then season them with pepper and salt.
Step 3: You should continue by peeling your onion and cutting it finely as much as you can. Proceed by washing and cutting your mushrooms in case you have very large ones. You can allow them to be in case they are of a small whole size.
Step 4: You will need to put everything on your stovetop and cook until you have brown meat. You will need to melt your cream cheese inside a microwave for about 10 seconds and proceed by adding into the pot that contains every other thing.
Step 6: If you are taking it with pasta, add your beef stroganoff to the already cooked pasta and you can add a bit of coriander over it to enjoy it more.
Beef Stroganoff without Sour Cream
total yield: Four SERVINGS
preparation time: 10 (Ten) MINUTES
cooking time: 15 (Fifteen) MINUTES
total time taken: 25 MINUTES
Even if you do not have sour cream or you do not wish to use it, you don’t have any problem. Cream cheese is used to add creaminess and flavor to the recipe we just showed you and your classic dish will be ready. Top of Form
Bottom of Form
- Black pepper and salt to add to the taste
- One tablespoon of coriander or parsley.
- Two cups 240 ml or 16 oz. of vegetable or beef broth
- ¼ cup of cooking wine
- Two tablespoons of 0.7 oz. mustard
- One tablespoon of vinegar
- Two tablespoons of 0.5 oz. pickled gherkins
- Three tablespoons of 1.7 oz. of butter
- One cup of 6 oz. cream cheese
- Two cups of 8.5 oz. fresh mushrooms
- One and a half cup of approximately 8 oz. of onion
- 20 pounds of tenderloin, beef, or another lean meat
Follow the instructions below to prepare the recipe of beef stroganoff:
- You have to first place your meat and wash under running water so that all traces of impurities and blood can be removed. Allow it to dry by using your kitchen towel before you put it on your cutting board as required.
- After the first step, proceed by slicing the meat on a wheel about one inch thick. You can then proceed to cut each of the wheels into slim or thin strips. You will then need to season them with pepper and salt.
- You can then peel your onions and cut them finely as much as you can.
- Carry your mushrooms under running water and wash them very well. You will wash it thoroughly by checking the stems where dirt usually accumulates. You could use small mushrooms whole but in case you have bought large mushrooms, it is preferable you cut them to wheels. Let’s say you bought more than 1.5”.
- On your stove and turn it to high heat, put a saucepan or heavy-bottomed pot on it and add your butter. By the time your butter starts melting, you should add your strips of meat gradually and allow them to cook. You can turn them by using your kitchen spatula till you notice their color change on all the sides to a golden brown.
- What we want to achieve is for the meat to be sealed. The best thing to do is to allow the meat to fry batch by batch and put your golden meat separately on a plate as you continue to fry the rest. The pot’s temperature will drop if you decided to put all your meat at a time and the liquids of the meat are let lose which will allow them to be cooked in their juice and as a result, the meat will not turn brown and as they lose their juices, they tend to dry up. This is why you must ensure that your skillet is usually really hot and your meat is allowed to turn brown.
- After every piece of your meat is brown, put them all back in your pot and proceed to add your onions before you allow it to cook with your meat for some minutes until it is transparent.
- Proceed by adding your broth and cover it so it can cook for up to 10 minutes.
- Put your cream cheese inside a microwave and allow it to melt for ten seconds. Add the melted cream cheese to your pot and also add the mustard, vinegar, wine, pickles, and mushrooms too to your pot. Stir everything together until they are all well incorporated together.
- Proceed to cook the mixture for five more minutes on high heat until the sauce is thick. Dilute one teaspoon of your cornstarch in four tablespoons of water if you will like your sauce to be thicker. Add the mixture to your pot and allow it to cook for some more minutes. This process is actually optional. The cream cheese is enough to bring consistency to your sauce.
- You can taste it and then season it with pepper and salt. You should then turn the stove off and allow the beef stroganoff to rest for some minutes.
- If you have prepared your pasta, serve it with your stroganoff.
- You can add a bit of coriander to enjoy.