Have you tried preparing any pulled pork recipe at home? Pulled pork can be one of your best recipes which can be prepared for any occasions. It is also a practical food to prepare because it is not costly.
Pulled pork can be versatile and it is easy to make it into different kinds of dishes or just add it to your ready dish. You can also store it in the freezer or have it refrigerated for days.
Pulled pork is said to have originated in the United States. It is made from shredded pork barbecue shoulder. The pork is cooked for a few hours until the meat become tender and easily falls off, then it is manually shredded.
If you wonder if you can eat cold pulled pork, the answer is yes. You can eat pulled pork whether hot or cold depending on your craving. Keep in mind though that it has to be cooked well so it is safe to eat.
To learn more about pulled pork just keep reading this article. We also include some tips in storing and refrigerating pulled pork.
A Simple Guide to Pulled Pork
If you have never tried pulled pork, just think of your meat barbecue only that the meat shredded. It is the softest part of pork meat that most people especially barbecue lovers want. However, you use chucks or sliced meat to make barbecue while pulled port is shredded. Pulled pork can also be cooked or made into different kind of dishes, and you can even make your own pulled pork recipe.
Here is a list of dishes you can make with pulled pork.
- Baked potato toppings
- Sandwich spread
- Egg rolls
- Pulled pork barbecue
- Salad toppings
- Pizza toppings
- Savory cornbread
- Pulled-pork soup
We listed a few but there are other varieties of dishes you can make with pulled pork. Since pulled pork is typically shredded then it is easy to make into other dishes or add to other dishes that needs shredded meat.
How Pulled Pork Is Made
If you are enthusiastic about preparing dishes at home, then you will definitely enjoy preparing pulled pork. There are three methods used in preparing pulled pork and you can do what is easier for you. You can use a smoker, an oven, or a crockpot. Crockpot has become the common and easiest way to make pulled pork and is considered the best kitchen tool for the job.
The simple method of preparing pulled pork is to cook the meat at high temperature then lowering the temperature afterwards. Then, the meat left being cooked for hours at low heat temperature until it turned very soft.
Keep in mind that you can choose your own style and tool when preparing pulled pork. Though the use of crockpot is suggested, the oven can also be used as well as a smoker.
The traditional or basic way to make pulled pork is by smoking the meat. Here are the easy tips:
- Prepare pork shoulder or what others called pork butt.
- Rub the meat with your choice of seasoning to taste.
- Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. If you will use wood as smoker, apple or hickory is your best type of wood to use.
- Cook the meat for about 2 hours but you can adjust the cooking time depending on how large or small is the meat cut.
- After cooking the meat at 145 degrees Fahrenheit, cover it with an aluminum foil to help reduce cooking time. Note that the pork will be best even when heated at 165 degrees.
- The recommended temperature when cooking pulled pork is 195 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want it to be very soft and falls easily apart, you can cook it up to 200 degrees F.
- Take it out of the smoker and shred the pork carefully.
After shredding the pork, you now have your homemade pulled pork. You can do the same when using an oven or a crockpot.
Eating Pulled Pork Cold
You can enjoy pulled pork in any dish depending on your cravings, you can also choose whether to eat it hot or cold. Others enjoy its delicious soft meat when eating it cold. For example, you can make salad toppings, soup, and spreads for sandwiches with pulled pork.
You might not really want it cold but a bit chilled, is still fine. Take a small portion of chilled pulled pork from your fridge and add it to your dish. You can also make it as a side dish in a meal glazed with some barbecue sauce.
Pulled pork is already cooked-well so you need not worry about whether it is cooked or not. However, you can still cook it again to make your preferred dish. When pulled pork is cold because it has been kept in the fridge does not mean that the meat is raw.
Pulled pork is really a flexible food which can be made into a variety of dishes or simply added to a cooked dish. You can also enjoy it as it is whether cold or hot and need not be added to another dish. Eating it right from your fridge is the simplest and easiest way to enjoy it if you like eating it cold, but if you do not enjoy eating cold food like pulled pork, then you can always reheat it.
So, have you wondered what is the best method to store and refrigerate pulled pork? Keep reading on this article because we made the steps comprehensive enough and easy to follow.
Refrigerating Pulled Pork
It is not safe to store pulled pork at room temperature as this temperature makes the food a good breeding ground for harmful bacteria. It is best to keep it frozen or refrigerated.
Here are the easy steps in refrigerating pulled pork.
- Package pulled pork by placing it in a food container with lid or an airtight resealable food bag. Another option is to leave it in the dish plate or bowl and have it covered with food wrap or aluminum foil.
- Keep the packaged pulled pork in the fridge for storage.
- Note that refrigerated pulled pork can only stay best and safe to consume within five days.
Kee in mind that when packaging pulled pork for storage, the lid of the food container or the food bag should be tightly sealed to prevent air and other food odor from getting into it while in the fridge and prevent spoilage.
Freezing Pulled Pork
Keeping pulled pork in the freezer or freezing it makes its shelf-life longer than by simply refrigerating it. If you do not intend to consume it within five days, it is best to keep it frozen.
Here are the simple steps in freezing pulled pork.
- Be sure that the pulled pork has already cooled down before packaging it. If not, let it cool for some time at room temperature but do not leave it there for more than 2 hours.
- Place pulled pork in a food container or freeze bag which can be closed or sealed tightly.
- Leave ample space in the container or bag because the meat tends to expand when frozen.
- Label the container or bag with date of storage to remind you of its shelf-life.
- Keep it in your freezer for not more than six
When you need to prepare pulled pork for consumption, the best way to thaw it is to leave it for hours or overnight in the fridge as this will prevent food-borne bacteria from growing.
We enjoyed writing this article to help you get more information about storing pulled pork, and hope that you did. Still, here are some questions and answers for you.
How can you tell if pulled pork is already spoiled?
It is easy to tell when pulled pork is already spoiled or turned bad. The smell is usually rancid, and the pork will look somewhat slimy. If is spoiled for quite some time, you can see the discoloration of the meat. If you noticed any of these, it is best to discard it right away.
How can I reheat pulled pork?
If you do not like cold pulled pork, you can reheat it using an oven, a microwave or on a skillet. If you will use an oven, reheat it at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for not more than twenty minutes. If you will reheat it in a microwave, place it in a microwave safe dish or container and reheat for not more than 3 minutes.
Is pulled pork healthy?
Pulled pork is made from pork meat which is rich in essential vitamins and minerals. An ounce of this can give you enough vitamin B6, B12, Niacin, Thiamin, Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc, and Iron. It is also a good source of protein and can help promote healthy muscle formation and function.