Anything you want to add to foods can be shred, you could shred spices, nuts, cheeses, and even herbs. Lemons or limes can also zest into your cooking. Microplane is a kitchen device described to be a long grater that has fine small grating teeth and that can be used to zest citrus, shred cheese finely, and grate fresh herbs.
A microplane can be used for many things in the kitchen and it can be easily used and it is also relatively not expensive. What we have in this article is the guide that will help you check how useful a microplane can be, its benefits, storage, and proper care. We will also check out the seven best types of 2019 microplane zesters.
Ultimate Guide to Microplane Zesters
To get a very good microplane have to be more than only shredding, zesting, or grating. It is much more about having the ability to function smoothly through the parts of the process of cooking with ease and comfort. This is why you need to watch out for quality and there are qualities you are to look out for before selecting microplane zester.
What To Look for in a Microplane Zester
Get yourself a microplane for comfort and ease. We will start by talking about the qualities you should consider before you get your microplane:
- Size: There are both long and short microplane zesters, ensure you buy one that contains space for proper storage.
- Durability: Your microplane should last and should not break when using it. It should be reliable and durable.
- Washing Methods: Your microplane should be dishwasher safe. In case you don’t have a dishwasher, try to think of the challenge with cleaning.
- Sharpness: Your microplane should be sharp and the sharpness should be maintained for long. Check for honed, stainless steel blade, sharp and check if it contains a protective cover.
- Handle: The length of the handle should be good enough and it should be very comfortable to be held. Check for the width, length, and overall grip.
The listed above are the top five qualities we think you should look out for. You may, however, have your preference of quality that you will like to buy.
Using a Grater VS Using a Microplane Zester
Your box-style grater can be very useful but a microplane zester and grater have different purposes in which they are used. They can be used interchangeably but it depends on the result you are trying to get. Check below why microplane zesters are more optimal than graters:
- You Get More:Shredding, zesting, or grating with the microplane gives you more finely results and it means your item will probably last longer and will be packed with more flavor.
- Handle: It is easy to take hold as well as control a microplane zester because it has a grip handle.
- Versatility:The microplane can not only be used to zest. It is a grater, but it slices, zests, and grates finer than the grater itself.
- Safety:You may tear your knuckles or hands when working with a grater to achieve superbly fine grating.
- Fine Grating Needs: Your grater will only grate for you so finely and not extremely finely.
A grater also has good qualities associated with it but both microplane zesters and graters are used for different purposes and they also have those things in which one is better when compared to the other. You might want to put into consideration how small and fine you want your item to be.
Uses of Microplane Zesters
These are very versatile tools that can be used to grate or zest your food items. Check below for some more:
- Citrus Zest: you can use microplane to zest citrus like oranges, lemons, limes, etc.
- Grate Cheese: a microplane helps you to grate your hard cheese like Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano.
- Shaving Spices & Herbs:a microplane helps to shave your fresh herbs, garlic, and gingers. Use a microplane instead of grating or mincing.
- Chocolate Grating or Shaving: a microplane will help you to finely shave your chocolate to get a delicate look.
- Fresh is the Best: your microplane can be used to shred stuff like nuts and coconut than a knife or grater can do.
Reviews of the 7 Best Microplane Zesters
You will get to find the right information and reviews of the best set of microplane zesters. Check below for our seven best 2019 microplane zesters:
- Integrity Chef PRO Zester & Grater
- Razor-sharp blade
- Stainless steel is of high-quality
- Built with professional quality grade
- It works great, looks great, and feels great
- Guarantee of 100% customer satisfaction
- It is a quality product that is very affordable
- When zesting, fruits may snag
- Many of the microplanes do not have handles.
- BelleGuppy Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater
- Non-slip BPA-Free ergonomic handle
- The blade is of stainless steel of high-quality
- It comes in a gift box
Its zester has on it a hole that helps you to hang easily for storage and the blade has a snap-fit cover, it also has a brush for cleaning. It has a sturdy rubber foot.
- Guarantee of 100% satisfaction
- Sharp premium blades that are a stainless steel
- Comfortable grip with an ergonomic handle
- Its frame is a hard steel that helps to hold up the pressure
- It is not expensive despite its qualities
- It could be hard to take off the protective cover can be hard to take on and off
- Grating cheese may be more challenging because of the narrow shaft
- KitchenIQ 50196 Better Zester
- Ergonomic handle
- Grater/Zest storage container
- The blade is coated with non-stick.
It has a shred compartment for anything you want to grate. It is a thin part behind the tool. It has a zester with a squeegee tool that helps to easily remove the zest from the compartment and blades.
- It has a design that makes it dishwasher safe.
- Non-slip end and soft-touch handle.
- It has a slight curve to its frame for a more ergonomic grip.
- The coating is non-stick that allows to grate or zest food without having any sticking on the blade
- It has a V-etched tooth that makes cuts uniform with little effort
- It is usable on herbs, cheese but it works best for zesting on citrus.
- The green paints may start to peel off.
- Zyliss Zester – Rasp Grater With Cover
This brand has a bit of a higher price but its materials are of high quality and it is uniquely designed.
- Dishwasher Safe
- It has a protective cover that has measurements
- Ergonomic handle
It has a protective cover that is like a measuring spoon. You can use it to grate, shred, or zest even with its cover on it and this will help you measure as you use.
The base is of a design that is non-slip with an ergonomic, comfortable handle that makes it easy to hold and comfortable to grasp. You also do not have to worry about cleaning up because its cover is on it.
- It is a functional tool
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Superior quality
- It smoothly works on garlic, ginger, limes, lemons, and other things.
- Zyliss placed a 5-year guarantee on it.
- It can be a bit awkward when you hold as you monitor the grating compartment
- The zester could be sharper
- Deiss PRO Citrus Zester and Grater
- It has a grater length of 12 ½ inches
- The handle is a non-slip grip
- The blade is stainless steel and rust-resistant
This brand is durable, sturdy, and very easy and comfortable to use. The blade is sharp with stainless steel properties of 18/10. You can use it to slice, shred, grate, and zest. The blade does not usually clog up, it is easy to clean and as you work, you do not need to start clearing the teeth.
- It is easily used without too much pressure or effort required.
- It is a versatile tool that you can use to grate, zest, and do other duties of a microplane.
- The total length is 15”, but it has a flat design that makes it easy for storage
- It saves frustration and time thanks to its clog-proof design.
- It could get hung up when you zest limes and lemons.
- The zester blade easily falls from the frame.
- OXO Good Grips Etched Zester and Grater
- The top rack is dishwasher safe
- Included with plastic cover
- The handle is non-slip
This brand is of high quality and it is not expensive. It is used to zest fruits, grate cheese and herbs, shred coconut with a little effort. The blade is sharp and stainless steel and its handheld is non-slip
- The handle is angled and it helps to lay the tool on a bowl as you grate or zest.
- It has a generous surface area for grating.
- It is etched and the blades are stainless steel that is sharp.
- It is affordable and of high quality.
- It is a versatile tool that has a box zester/grater combo tool. The zester is a portion of the box and you can remove it.
- The sides are usually not enclosed or covered and it makes it likely to catch the blades.
- The plastic handle could easily break when pressure is applied.
- Microplane Classic Zester/Grater
The brand is for the experts that have been known to produce this product.
- Dishwasher Safe
- Stainless steel of surgical grade.
- United States-made ultra-sharp blade
This is a zester straight from microplane itself that was designed for zesting things like citrus, shred ingredients, shave chocolate, and grate cheese. It has a blade with teeth that does the job quite well. It has a plastic handle that is sturdy and comfortable to be gripped.
- Less pressure is needed and it means your hands will not go sore or your food will not bruise too much.
- You can select any of your handle colors
- It is sharp and easily does the job.
- It is versatile as it can zest, grate, shave, and shred.
- The grated stuff may stick to the blade and may require that you should stop to clear as the work goes on.
- It is not all of them that come with protective sheath.